Monday, September 24, 2012

Classroom Management

Classroom management... the most important part of teaching in my opinion.  This is how I do it so I can actually teach something.

The Quiet Signal
Some people use a clapping signal, others the lights.  Whatever you use, the best way to make it work is to EXPECT it always and to wait for 100% attention before going on.  If I need to give instructions, I raise my hand, wait for EVERY single child to stop what they're doing, look at me, and raise their hands too.  And I expect ALL the kids to do it in 5 seconds or less.  Then I give instructions for the next thing.  What happens when they don't do it within the time limit?  We spend a lot of time practicing.  It doesn't take much to get them to WANT to do it within 5 seconds.  And after the first week of school, they're really quite good at it.  In my experience, the only way it will work is expecting kids to do it, exactly, every time.  Then they will.  It works!


This is a common collaborative teaching tool that I learned from Spencer Keagan my first year of teaching.  Put kids in groups (4 is the best if possible).  Give each child a number in the group.  1 2 3 4. You can then use it for everything!...  "Number 4's please collect the notebooks and turn them in for your group."  "Start with number 1 and go around the circle sharing your answer."  "Number 1's get the glue.  Number 2's get the paper.  Number 3's and 4's wait patiently."  You get the idea.  Click on the link above to get more ideas.

Two easy tools that make ALL the difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment