Saturday, August 4, 2012

Setting Up My Classroom

It's August. Time to start thinking about a new school year.  Before planning lessons and inviting kids into my room, I always have to get myself organized and arranged.  Moving desks.  Decorating.  It can be the most time consuming part.  But it sure is fun!  Here are some ideas I've found that I plan to start with this year.

For my class website homepage.  Great with the name of the class in the middle of the heart.

 I'll put this on the door of my classroom.

Desk and shelf arrangement.  I love that each group has a shelf with all their supplies.  Great for my desks that have no storage.

Tree wall.  I'll put student pictures and student work in the circles.  Goes really well with our plants unit in science that we start the year with.  I'll add this quote to it:
 Class family photos.  Framed on the shelf.  We are family.

From Woonideeen:
I'm going to make covers for the backs of my students' chairs, but with pockets instead of the picture.  I'll pin their name tags to their chair covers instead of their desks (laminated of course).  Will solve the problem of name tags always coming off and getting off tape muck at the end of the year.  And the kids can store their pencils and erasers in the pocket.

At the end of last year I had all my kids make flags of the world on paper triangles.  I'm going to add a colorful paper back and string them up around my classroom.  A lot of color and student work.  (The flags are great for an international classroom.)

Students start the year with setting goals.  Write each goal on a balloon with the kids' pictures hanging from them.  This is a great way to post them up and keep everyone accountable to meet them.  The teacher included!

Other Pinterest ideas with no links:
 Turn my ugly avocado file cabinet into a magnetic bulletin board.  Becomes a good divider in the classroom as well.

Crates with cushions as chairs.  I'll put these in my reading corner.  Can be used individually, for group work, made into a bench or individual chairs.  Move around the room so easily.  Loads of uses!

Ok, that's a start.  More to come!

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous ideas! Makes me want to teach again! Love your blog, girl! You are an AMAZING teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pinterest brings us together! I'm using a bunch of these ideas too... love the blog!

    ReplyDelete